There is a new burger store in my hood and it is just perfect. They have an extremely delicious burger with mango and pepper and all meat is 100 percent bio! Sounds like heaven, huh? However, there is a little obstacle – my girlfriend is a vegetarian and there is no cool veggie burger on the menu. Because I am a good boyfriend and a not so bad cook, I made her a Mango Veggie Burger myself. As a can lover quite often, I have some fruits in cans at home and luckily, mango was among them. But what about the patties? I looked what I got in my kitchen and came along with the idea of some black bean patties. And when there’s something I really have always at home, then it is canned beans (I’m a little bit fanatic about beans). So let’s start and make some nice Mango Veggie Burgers straight out of the can. 😉
Ingredients for your Mango Veggie Burger
- 1 red Onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cloves garlic
- ½ cup brown rice
- 2 cans black beans (rinsed and drained, divided)
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp. cumin powder
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 8 mango slices
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- Hamburger buns
Instructions for your Mango Veggie Burger
- Put the red onion, red pepper, garlic, a can of black beans, brown rice, egg, cumin, and red pepper flakes into a blender and mix until chopped finely.
- Then put the mixture into a bowl and add the other can of beans and the breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper and blend until well combined. Let it chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.
- Form the mixture to 6-8 patties. Thinner patties will become crisper.
- Roast the mango slices in a grill pan over medium heat for 2-3 minutes per side, until browned.
- Fry the patties in a pan with some olive oil for about 4 minutes per side.
- Add mango slices and cheese to the patties for the last minute of cooking. Cover the pan for best cheese melting.
So what do you say about my Veggie Burger? You can also find more yummy recipes with canned food here. Leave us a comment!