It feels like yesterday when I was a student and quite unexpectedly, I came to this age, where all your friends start buying houses and having kids, calling me uncle quite often. But that’s ok for me, I really start to enjoy being the cool creative uncle and telling all those interesting stories about new cool stuff and about cans of course. What could be better for young children than learning about the importance of sustainability and the role cans play? As kids learn best through fun and games, I always try to introduce them to the DIYs you can make with cans. Or the tasty recipes you can cook from canned food. So I came up with the idea to combine these two things and bake little can cakes for my nephew’s 5th birthday last month. Perhaps you want to use this recipe as well? So here it is:
What You Need to Make the Little Birthday Can Cakes
300 g butter
200 g dark chocolate
250 g sugar
200 g wheat flour
30 g cocoa
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 pinch salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
250 g soft butter
500 g vanilla pudding (with 300 ml milk)
Optional: vanilla mark
Let’s Get Started
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a pot (until they are liquid.)
- Stir eggs, sugar, salt and vanilla extract in a big bowl.
- Add the lukewarm chocolate-butter mixture to the bowl and stir again.
- Now mix flour, baking powder and cocoa together and add it to the bowl, too.
- Grease and flour the inside of the cans, put the dough into the cans (fill them a little over half full) and bake them at 160 °C for 35 minutes.
- Cook vanilla pudding.
- Take soft butter and mix it with an electric whisk for five minutes until it’s fluffy and pale-white.
- Add the pudding to the soft butter and stir it until you get a well-blended mixture.
- Remove the cakes from the cans, cut off the rounded top and then cut the cakes into little layers.
- Now brush the butter-pudding on the cake layers and build up little towers.
Now you can decorate your little cakes with candles and other cool birthday stuff.
What is your favourite birthday cake? We’d love to find some nice recipes in our comment section!