New Year, New me! I mean… if nobody saw me destroying my chocolate Santa on the couch in my pajamas, then it most likely didn’t happen, right? And if anybody saw me, good luck finding evidence!
So, leaving my year-round chocolate cravings out of account, I’m still in time to put my New Year’s resolutions into action.
Step 1: for a new me: getting up earlier in the morning (nope, didn’t work today)
Step 2: working out (as if!)
Step 3: eating healthier
Well, I like food and I’m pretty sure healthy eating can’t be that bad! So, since it’s still freezing out there, this hearty chickpea soup recipe is my solution to getting healthy, warm and happy and to finally use up some of my canned food supply. Plus: did you know that canned chickpeas have the same nutrient levels as freshly made beans? So this is also adding up to the new healthy lifestyle of mine.
What You Need for a Pot of Hearty Chickpea Soup:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and fresh pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces/450 grams each) chickpeas, drained and rinsed well
- 1 can (14.5 ounces/400 grams) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 3 cups vegetable broth OR chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- shredded Parmesan cheese (optional)
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Get Started with your Hearty Chickpea Soup:
- Heat butter and oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaf, salt, and pepper. Cook that mix for 6 to 8 minutes and stir occasionally. Beware! An amazing composition of smells will hit your senses.
- Stir in your chickpeas and tomatoes and season with turmeric.
- Add vegetable/chicken broth and water and mix your soup until it’s smooth. Turn up the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat to a simmer and continue to cook for 10 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- If you like it fancy, garnish with parmesan cheese and parsley. (Addition to my New Year’s resolutions: Be fancy!)
- Lastly and most importantly: Grab a blanket, wrap it around yourself, plunge onto the couch and enjoy one (or more) bowls of our Hearty Chickpea Soup.
What are your favourite recipes for your healthy resolutions? Leave us a comment below!
Featured Image: Shutterstock