Only a few days are left until the big event: Christmas! It is the one occasion each year when the whole family comes together and love is celebrated all over the world. I guess you all know these tense days, when the countdown has started and you can almost smell the roasted Christmas goose. Of course no one really predicts what is going to happen… will everyone really be peaceful or will there be fights and arguments? You just never know. But there’s ONE thing you can control: dinner. And it can have a pretty big effect on the overall mood and peacefulness! Did you ever experience when the soup was oversalted, the bake got burned or the dessert did just not taste good? It gets me really cranky.
So here’s my personal solution that works every time of the year and is an easy-peasy – but still delicious – meal, which avoids stressful situations.
What Do You Need:
1 Canned Red Cabbage
2 Apples, e.g. Boskoop
3 Tbsp. Concentrated Butter
1 Tbsp Sugar
½ Cinnamon Quill
0,13 l Red Wine
0,13 l Red Wine Vinegar
1 Tbsp. Cranberries in a jar
What Do You Have To Do:
- Remove the stem, cut the red cabbage into two halves and grate both of them into a bowl.
- Then wash the apples, quarter, core and peel them before you cut them into small pieces.
- Heat the butter in a pot and add the apple slices and sugar. Wait some seconds until it starts to caramelise.
- When the colour changes to gold you can carefully add our superstar, the red cabbage.
- Deglaze the pieces with red wine and red wine vinegar.
- Put the cloves into the onions and add it, with the cinnamon and the bayleaf to the cabbage.
- Stew it for more than 40 minutes until it gets soft.
- Season it with salt and cranberries and remove the other spices.
- You are ready for Christmas!
What’s your favourite dish that always works, even though it’s a stressful time? Please leave us a comment below.