Never forget a birthday again! Your aunt’s special day is two weeks after your uncle turns 50. Or was it the other way round? Did you know that bottle caps can help you solve this tricky question? Well, to send your wishes always to the right person at the right date, there are many different ways – but we think a family birthday calendar, which shows all dates at a glance and is made of a sustainable material, is the most practicable solution! And of course, metal packaging lovers will know: We’re going to build a birthday calendar out of bottle caps. Let’s learn how you can use them so you will never forget a birthday again!
Here is what you need:
- Wooden plank
- 12 eye screws
- 1 or 2 frame hooks
- Paint or lacquer in your favorite color(s)
- Alphabet template
- 1 bottle cap per birthday you want to remember forever
- Set of metal letter stamps
- A lot of jump rings
- A list with all birthdays you never want to forget again
This is what you have to do:
- Begin by drilling 12 holes into the wooden plank, putting the eye screws inside and attaching the frame hooks on its back.
Paint the wooden plank in the color you prefer or leave the wood untreated for a natural look & feel. Use the alphabet template to bring the letters on the plank accurately. At its bottom, you can write the months just above the eye screws. Please make sure that you are waiting long enough so that the paint/lacquer completely dries before you continue.
Tip: If you have a steady hand or if you want to have a calendar with a more personal touch, you can also try to write in your own handwriting.
- Now the bottle caps come into play. For every birthday you never want to forget again you need to drill a small hole into each bottle cap for the jump rings.
- To get the names and birthdays on the bottle caps, place them on a smooth hard surface (not wood). Then place the metal letter stamp and hammer it with one firm whack.
- Use jump rings to connect all bottle caps that belong to a specific month. Connect them with each other in the right order (according to the dates of birthday).
- Finally fix the chain of bottle caps to the correct month and that’s it! 🙂 Now it’s ready to be fixed to the wall.
One thing is for sure: With this fancy family birthday calendar you’ll never forget the birthdays of your beloved ones again. 🙂
What about you? Who is the next person you need to sing “Happy birthday” to? You don’t know? In this case, this has to be your next DIY project! Additionally, this is a nice and unique present for forgetful grandparents. 😉
Show us your design skills! Just leave an image of your family birthday calendar on our Facebook page!